Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Writer's Conferences

One week from tomorrow I'll be heading off to Dallas for the ACFW conference! It's a huge deal for writers, especially for those who are unpublished and have stories that they're ready for the world to read.

Want to know why? Read on...

For those of you who are unaware of how things work in the publishing industry these days - I know I was until about 2 years ago - it's not so easy to get your manuscript on the desk of an editor at a publishing house. Gone are the days when you can just mail in your work to a publisher. Unless you have inside contacts, the only way to get your work seen by a publishing house is through a literary agent.

That being said, it's not easy to get an agent to look at your work either. Many many (I could write it 10 more times, but you get my point) people have written books. Some good, some decent, some not so good. All of these writers want to get their books published. Thing is, publishers can put out only so many books a year. Understandably, literary agents must be extremely selective in the writers they choose to represent. Most of the writers who contact them, usually by email, are rejected

Here's what happens at a conference:

Writers get to meet agents face-to-face and pitch their novels to them. Guess what other audience writers have at conferences? Editors!

Going to a writer's conference is something serious writers must experience. For those seeking publication, it can be a turning point in their career. Although, again, there will be hundreds of writers there pitching their work to agents and editors. 

Not only that, it's a great place to network, there are exceptional learning opportunities in the workshops, and friends to be made.

Much preparation is involved for those who will be seeking out agents and editors. I'm well underway and feel confident that I'll be prepared for this awesome experience!

Oh, and did I mention that I get to go with a close friend of mine who is also a writer? Even better!

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm excited for you! I'm glad you posted this. I think H's novel will be ready in a year or so, and this is good info to know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle, I'll be happy to answer any questions she may have when the time comes!

      Delete